Tuesday, March 6, 2018

We Are Counting Down the Days till Avant-Garde Comes to Cincy!

Meet Maria Conley from Body Altar...
I am a mother, daughter, wife, Tai Chi and Qi Gong practitioner, wine enthusiast, free thinker, and entrepreneur. I received my inspiration for Body Altar while receiving a bodywork session to release blocked energy. For years, I had felt a connection to the Earth and the elements around me and had been using crystals to focus my intentions and manifest them in my own life. My deep sense of empathy for those around me led to my desire to share that connection with others. I want each Body Altar client to find the perfect piece that will help them to find, focus, and wear their intentions. 
The creation of Body Altar has been a personal journey for me. I started wire-wrapping and wearing crystals to manifest my intentions about 7 years ago. Then I started gifting them to friends and family every chance I got. I started my official business in 2017. Every step of this journey has been incredible!
This is my first Avant-Garde show and I am so excited!

Honestly, the intentions inspire me to create. If I try to just sit down and make a necklace, I end up staring at rocks for an hour. But if I know that I need to make a piece for STRENGTH then I do research on which crystals aid in that intention and the creative juices flow from there.
It started as a means to an end. I had discovered the healing power and bright energy of crystals and wanted to carry them with me. I began wire wrapping which eventually turned into the more elegant designs you’ll see today.
Pretty much anytime I get an idea, I think, “I can do that.” And then I do. My husband calls them my cockamamie schemes. Some work, a lot fail. This one worked and I’ve since spent a lot of time learning and perfecting my craft.

The most important part happens before I ever pick up a tool. I consider the person that the necklace is for, their intention, and the crystals that will help them most. It may sound silly, but the crystals choose their wearer- not me. The rest is just assembly.
Well we are still very new so I have big plans for Body Altar, but mainly right now, I’m just hoping to reach more people and continue perfecting my craft.
I believe that the earth is full of powerful energy and that energy also resides within us. For me, crystals are a way to enhance that energy and paring it with an intention just makes it stronger. Call it mindfulness or meditation, or prayer, but when we send out our positive vibrations into the universe, they come back. It is my hope that when you wear a piece of Body Altar jewelry, you’ll have a little more joy on life’s journey.

Meet Susan Richards from Foundology...
I studied art at Bowling Green State University and business at Edison State. Although, I never did become the interior designer I dreamed of being, I did dedicate myself full time to the raising of two beautiful girls, who are now successful and creative young adults. They are my "quality control team". If they approve, it's a go!
I still have a major appreciation for the arts that reveals itself in some of the items I make; "The Kiss" by Gustav Klimt showcased on a Scrabble Tile necklace, Van Gogh on a domino. You may find professional photo art, framed and ready to wear, or maybe even an original (although amateur) snap by yours truly, adorning the front of an antique locket.

The possibilities are endless, so when I'm not out gathering forgotten treasures (or working my regular job), I'm in my basement happy place, in our home perched above the Stillwater River, being serenaded by birdsong and tree frogs, while coaxing the "special" out of the ordinary to create accessories to wear and treasure.
I have been making various kinds of jewelry for at least 15 years but I have enjoyed creating things using many different media types my entire life.
This is my first Avant-Garde Art & Craft Show, though I have participated in many other artisan shows throughout Ohio.

I am inspired by "found objects" such as old photos, vintage atlases and maps, antique skeleton keys, nature, old watches, vintage game pieces, flea market finds and antique stores. I also have a bead obsession and love to combine them with all of the above to create new and beautiful accessories.
I have always loved creating things for as long as I can remember. When I was a kid, I painted pet rocks and sold them to the other neighborhood kids. I made centerpieces for my mom and grandma using old bricks and dried flowers, and made earrings in the 3rd grade (because I wasn’t allowed to get my ears pierced) out of bobby pins and beads – and wore them to school, much to the envy of the other 3rd grade girls! When my daughters were young, we made crafts using commonplace things like leaves, rocks, and acorns to create beautiful artwork!

The majority of my creative process involves "serendipity"; happily stumbling upon forgotten or discarded items, and being inspired to give them new life in a unique and modern way.

My husband and I own our own equipment finance company and that is what I do full time, and will continue to be doing full time 5 years from now, but my passion is in creating jewelry and will be for at least the next 5 years. I currently sell online, at shows, and in a small boutique, and would like to add more boutiques and unique artisan venues to that list. I like to dabble in other creative processes that involve home décor/home accents, and would someday like to add that my list of merchandise. The message behind my work is that beauty can be found anywhere.


Meet Rhondeesia Hester from Tempora Creative Designs...
I currently live in Cincinnati Ohio. I'm married and blessed to have one son. I love spending time with family and using my create talents. I began hand-crafting bowties, headbands, and barrettes in 2015 and I really enjoy it. This will make my first Avant-Garde event.
Children inspire me the most. I love to see babies and children dress up in their little outfits. My son and other family members love to wear bowties, so that is what got me into the craft.

I discovered my talent by working creatively with your hands is a talent and a gift that runs in my family. I made a few bowties for my husband and son, and they turned out pretty good. So I started making more and moreI have an eye for uniquely beautiful things and I try to capture those images through my crafts. 
Hopefully the business will continue to grow, and I will begin to work with a manufacturer to produce larger quantities of my products. You'll find a bowtie or headband that will best suit your need and make you feel special every time you wear it. When putting on one of our custom designed items we hope you feel the love and care in each and every one! You're always welcome to visit our selection of custom handmade bowties, headbands and barrettes. 

Meet Brigid Huey from Bhuey Designs...
As a lover of the arts, I have long been fascinated by jewelry and its construction. I began taking jewelry apart and turning components into new items when I was a kid.  My skills grew little by little, and by young adulthood I was making my own jewelry for fun. While in college studying English Literature, I returned to the art of jewelry making as a creative outlet.

A few years later, after my daughter was born, I quit my day job to stay home full time.  It was the perfect opportunity to create my own jewelry business. I opened a shop on Etsy, and have been loving it ever since. That was five years ago. This year I decided to branch out and sell my work at local art and craft fairs.
This is my first Avant-Garde Art & Craft show, and only my second show of any kind!  I am excited to share this new experience with fellow artists and patrons.  In the future, I would love to continue to sell my work at art fairs and local boutiques.
My work is unique in its inspiration. My designs are all inspired by a work of literature. A pair of earrings may be based on Elizabeth Bennet from Jane Austen’s Pride and Prejudice, a set of hair pins on Hermione from Shakespeare’s The Winter’s Tale.  I recently created a whole fairy tale line, with items for such characters as Snow White, Rumpelstiltskin, and Cinderella. I use mainly Swarovski crystals and a mixture of plated and precious metals.  My goal is to provide beautiful, affordable jewelry with an interesting story.

I design and create all of my pieces in my in-home studio, also known as my basement. I want my customers to love their jewelry as much as I loved creating it. Wearing a piece from my shop should make you feel special. If it does, I feel like I've done my job as a jewelry designer.

Meet Jim and Linda Ray from Wrapped To Go! Jewelry...
For the past 25 years, my day job has been a licensed Aircraft Mechanic and Inspector, working on Piper Cubs to Boeing 747s. I have been twisting Stainless Steel Safety wire for all of that time and who would have thought that skill could transfer over to wire wrapping jewelry? Before I wrap a stone, I hold it in my hand and look at it from every angle, waiting for the stone to tell me how it wants to be wrapped.  I make every effort to bring out the stones' own natural beauty.  I use only the finest material available - you won't find any cheap plastic in my creations! 
I have been doing this for 18 years and this is my first Avant-Garde show!
Mother Nature, God-given ability are what really inspire me. I love to make beautiful things, whether gardening, Christmas light displays or creating jewelry.
I was born with my talent and have always loved doing it! My creative process is simple...Be still and let the creative energy flow. Hopefully in 5 years I will still be selling lots of jewelry! My message it to make something pretty that will last for generations
Meet Angie Carter from Baking Diva Cupcakes...
I am a mother and wife. My family has always come first. I grew up in the Cincinnati area and attended The Ohio State University. My husband and I moved back and started our lives here. I have 2 daughters, ages 18 & 15.  Baking and Cooking have always been hobbies of mine. When you love what you do it's no longer a job but a passion.
I have been baking for friends and family for years but I started my business 2 years ago after doing cupcakes for my nephews graduation party and everyone told me I should be doing this for a living. This is my 1st Avant-Garde Craft Show! Inspiration for my cupcake flavors come from many different places and experiences. 

I did cupcakes for my nephews graduation party and they were a hit. Everyone told me I should be doing this for a living so I took the leap and started Baking Diva Cupcakes. I was a stay at home mom for years and cooking and baking always came naturally to me. I kept experimenting and practicing until I found the perfect cupcake. 

Sometimes the creative process can come from different experiences.  If someone requests a themed cake or cupcake I start trying to imagine what I would like the cake to look like and then try to find items to create my vision. I'm hoping to have my own storefront in 5 years.

If you have a dream and passion chase that dream.  You never know what you are capable of until you take that leap and chase your dreams.



2018 Cincinnati Spring Avant-Garde Art & Craft Show
Sunday, March 11th 2018
Sunday- 10:00am-5:00pm
Oasis Golf Club and Conference Center
902 Loveland-Miamiville Rd. 
Loveland, Ohio 45140
For more information, contact Amanda Look, Event Coordinator at amanda@ag-shows.com
Visit us on:

No comments:

Post a Comment

See you in the AM Cincinnati!

  Meet Tracy Burns from Chaotic Love Designs ... Hi I'm Tracey, creater of Chaotic Love Designs. I am mom, wife beertender, tour guide, ...