Friday, November 17, 2023

Hey, Cincinnati are you ready? Meet the artists!

Meet Paula White from Simply Crafted LLC Resin Art... 

 

I am a retired Education professor who has dabbled in arts and crafts for years. I’ve never had any formal training in the arts but have experimented with a variety of art forms over the years. I consider myself a self-taught artist who has finally found the medium that brings me joy; I love to design functional and decorative art with epoxy resin. 

 

I began experimenting with and creating resin art in 2018, but I only recently began selling my art. Prior to working with resin, I expressed my creativity by making candles and through drawing. The show in September will be my first time participating in an Avant-Garde Art & Craft show.

I use my many photos of the ocean as inspiration for my coastal resin art pieces. I also find inspiration in being from central Ohio; thus, many of my pieces are scarlet and gray. Also, the fluidness of resin is itself inspiring. Since resin is self-leveling, the motion makes for unique pieces, which keeps me inspired and passionate about working with resin.

 

I started crafting as a hobby because I needed a way to express my creativity and use the right side of my brain. I spent many years teaching math to middle schoolers and then teaching education students the art of teaching math. I was initially drawn to resin “beach art” due to my love of the ocean.  I discovered my talent rather accidentally. In general, I have a good sense of color and when working with resin, I get to mix my own colors. Plus, the fluidness of resin is a good mix for my current skills as an artist.

My creative process is one of visualization and then experimentation. I first visualize a piece, and then I set about creating my vision. It is thrilling when my vision and experimentation align. 

 

In five years, I hope to be selling my resin art in small shops that carry handcrafted items. I want my resin art to bring joy to people and their homes. I want my resin art to tell the story of who the customer is through the colors and designs they choose.


Meet Ainsley O'Brien from Hippie Hop Trippie...

Hi, my name is Ainsley! I am 19 years old, and I attend the University of Cincinnati. Currently, I am majoring in psychology and pursuing certificates in Deaf studies and disability studies. I love all forms of art and have always been a very creative person. I started making jewelry when I was about 12 years old. When I was 18, I opened my Etsy shop and started selling my jewelry. 


This is the first Avant-Garde Art & Craft Show I will be participating in. In fact, this is my first art and craft show ever, and I am extremely excited! I love using crystals and incorporating natural elements in my work. The beauty of nature has always been a huge inspiration for me. 

My aunt and my grandma are the people who originally got me into art and crafting. Growing up, my aunt would always do fun art activities with my sisters and me. My grandma taught me how to sew at a very young age. After I was exposed to different forms of art, I continued exploring. Eventually, I began making jewelry, and I loved it. It took me several years, but I learned everything on my own. There was a lot of trial and error and using pictures as reference. Youtube became my best friend. Over the years, I was able to improve the look and the quality of the products I made. 


Making jewelry has become an amazing outlet for me, and I truly enjoy what I do. I am so excited to have the opportunity to share my work!

Meet Gavin Otteson from Gavin Osseson Art...

I’m an independent artist in rural Ohio. I describe my paintings as stylistic fantasies. The themes of my work are typically in the realms of science fiction, medieval castles, and landscapes which I paint through a mid-century lens. I currently work in both traditional and digital media, and everything I create is painted by hand. I have been creating art since I could pick up a pencil, but I have been selling my art to the world for only about 10 years. Though I’ve had an online presence for that entire time, I just started doing vendor events in 2023. This will be my first Avant-Garde show!


I am most inspired by mid-20th-century science fiction, animated movies, illustration, architecture, and music. I try to imbue my art with a sense of nostalgia or cool, retro vibes whenever possible while attempting to also be true to my own style journey. I have been creating in one form or another my entire life.

I discovered my love of art at an extremely early age. It is something I’ve always been driven to do, and as I have continued to create, my talent has grown. I still have a lot to learn about painting, and I look forward to honing my skills for the rest of my life.


My creative process involves a considerable amount of mental percolation and scribbling out ideas in an ever-present sketchbook. Once I have a clear concept for a piece, I usually work solely on that painting until it is complete. My works are smaller in scale but filled with fine details.

In 5 years, I hope to create art and travel the country with my wife, participating in art festivals full-time. Two years ago, we decided to downsize to a Tiny Home On Wheels to pursue this dream. We are getting closer to it all the time!


My desire is that my art brings the viewer a sense of joy and, hopefully, awe. Additionally, I hope my paintings only express positivity, hopefulness, kindness, and love. The paintings I create are an escape for me into a universe that is beautiful and inspiring.


Meet Barbie Hahn from That Dam Jam..

I am Barbie Hahn, the founder and Chief Sunshine Officer for That Dam Jam! We are a woman-owned producer of Ohio Proud Pepper Jams ranging from sweet to hot! I started this business in February of 2021 as a cottage produced jam from my home kitchen!

I have always curated recipes in my home kitchen and I take pride in being the ''suburban chef'' on FOX19 and Cincy Lifestyle - you've probably seen my segments! However, it was during the pandemic that I curated and sent out my flagship flavor "Pineapple Habañero Jam" to friends and family with overwhelming demand for more after trying it! This is how my business began, a true silver lining to the pandemic!  

I started my process by crafting our Pineapple Habañero Jam years ago in my home kitchen after trying a sweet & spicy jam at a roadside market while on vacation with my husband Mike! Once my jam hit the market, I took feedback from my best customers and developed flavors to meet other spice level preferences! Thus leaving us with the 4 flavors of Pineapple Pepper Jams we offer today! Each with a different spice level to appeal to everyone! 

In five years I aspire to be a well-known and loved brand in Ohio, Kentucky, and Indiana. As an Ohio Proud producer, our core focus is providing food made locally to our home state first and foremost. We will expand to neighboring states from there! 

It's not a party without That Dam Jam! 


Meet Ashley Donahue from Ashley Nicole Draws...
My name is Ashley Donahue and I have been a professional Graphic Designer and Illustrator for nearly 10 years. This is my first Avant-Garde Art & Craft Show, and I'm so excited to be showing here! 
For a bit of background about myself, I have always felt the need to create - as a child, this took the form of endless doodles and construction paper pieces all over the house. As an adult, this has translated into canvas acrylic paintings, stickers, and other fun products. 
To date, I love all things bright, nature themed and whimsical - this quite literally translates into most of my pieces. I always aim to keep my artistic process fun and fairly loose, coming up with a general idea then letting my imagination run wild. My ultimate goal is to simply create! 

 You can check out my work on my website www.ashleynicoledraws.com or Instagram @ashleynicole_draws.

Meet Sandy Federman Weethee from Nanny's Creations...
My name is Sandy Federman Weethee. I am a retired high school art teacher. I enjoyed motivating, teaching, and inspiring young artists for 35 years. I always enjoyed creating in my spare time, however being retired gives my freedom to create whenever I want. I have worked in all mediums. My favorites are clay, painting, textiles, glass and my current passion is alcohol base inks.  
The longer I work in inks the more I push the limits and discover even more possibilities. My inspiration has always been color and light. I love how colors react and change. The presence of light adds an entirely new dimension. My work is blends of light and color and the subject matter is non objective. I recently began creating realistic images.

I became inspired to sell my work when I realized my studio was full. I enjoy talking to people and answering questions about my creations. Art shows are fun to participate in. It is rewarding to feel that people appreciate what I do.
I cannot imagine my life without art in it. I see so much beauty through color and light and that motivates me to create. When I am creating I am in “that” space and everything else comes to a stop. Art is my love and passion.  



2023 Cincinnati Fall Avant-Garde Art & Craft Show
Sunday, November 19, 2023 - 10:00am-4:00pm
RSVP Event Center
453 Wards Corner Rd.
Loveland, OH 45140
For more information, contact Becki Silverstein at Becki@ag-shows.com
Visit us on:
LINKEDIN

No comments:

Post a Comment

See you in the AM Cincinnati!

  Meet Tracy Burns from Chaotic Love Designs ... Hi I'm Tracey, creater of Chaotic Love Designs. I am mom, wife beertender, tour guide, ...