Friday, March 17, 2023

Meet Your Makers!

Meet Kristina Almendinger from Kristina's Flower Petal Art …
I’m in my second year of crafting. I participated in the 2022 Cincinnati Fall Avant-Garde Art & Craft Show at RSVP Center, Loveland.  
Nature inspires me to create. I use natural ingredients, giving flowers eternal glory and the Holy Spirit has guided me to have new ideas and led me to be able to have the materials, time, and inspiration.
I got into my craft hobby from trying different mediums over the years. This one just speaks to my heart. It all started with a fallen petal that looked like a scale to me, so I was inspired by a scuba diving friend to try and create a mermaid. Then the mermaid “scales” looked like wings so I created a hummingbird. The hummingbird "wings" expanded to fairy wings. The fairy "clothes" became ballerina "tutus" and I've been experimenting ever since. Once my eyes were opened to this unique form of mixed media, I see things in flowers, petals, weeds, herbs, and other natural things. I've also started experimenting using paper flowers.

Meet Chelsey Groves from That Dam Jam …
We are a small, woman owned pepper jam company based out of Milford, OH! We create small batch pineapple pepper jams using Ohio grown peppers! Our real mission is to spread smiles and positive energy, we just use our jam as a vehicle to do so!

Our business was born in early 2020 during the pandemic! This will be our first time participating in the Avant-Garde Art & Craft Show! We are honored to be here!

How we got into our craft hobby… Barbie, our owner, has been making homemade pepper jams for over a decade and sending them to friends/family for free - it wasn't until the pandemic that she started making a whole lot more jam for people who would no longer accept it for free - and thus - a business was born!
How did we discover our talent… Barbie has always been a natural in the kitchen, but after eating an entire jar in one sitting of a unique spicy fruit jam on a vacation years ago, she sought after re-creating the same flavor experience in her own kitchen because she just couldn't forget about that perfect sweet & spicy balance! This is when Pineapple Habanero, our flagship flavor was born!

Well, now you know the story on how our first flavor Pineapple Habanero was developed, from there we started getting requests from customers who wanted something "less spicy" and also "a little spicier" -- and using that feedback we created Pineapple Yellow Pepper, Pineapple Jalapeño, and Pineapple Ghost Pepper!

In five years, our goal is to become an Ohio staple -- if you live in Ohio, you know about That Dam Jam and you purchase it on the regular for gifting, snacking, and cooking with! We are an Ohio Proud brand, and we look to spread our product throughout retailers who place a priority on supporting Ohio Proud brands!

The message behind our work is that it’s not a party without That Dam Jam!

Meet Mandy Carroll from Nocturne Tarot…
I am a lifelong practicing Witch and Professional Tarot Reader. I offer intuitive Tarot Readings along with personalized Intention Bags for manifestation, and supplies for individual Craft needs.

I have been reading Tarot for over 20 years and I picked up my first deck when I was 11!! This is my first time participating in an Avant-Garde Art & Craft Show.
I am inspired by the connections I make with others and in the natural world. I believe there is Magick all around us!

How I got into my craft… My family is Appalachian, and I grew up with natural craftsmen who taught me the value of study and handcrafted work.
My creative process is a constant calling, and I find inspiration everywhere.
In five years I hope to continue as I am now, perhaps sharing the space with my children as they become young adults.
The message behind my work… Truth. Intuition. Connection

Meet Erin Camp from Hunny Monkey Art House…
Artist/traveler/weirdo would be the cliff note version of myself. I grew up in Cincinnati, moved to Newport about 14 yrs ago when I put my artistic handywoman skills to the test on my now 133 yr old Victorian style fixer I purchased. I'm drawn to the art world, love traveling & animals, bit of a foodie, & enjoy talking to strangers to find out what makes them tick!
All my life, art- the process of creating, the before & after shot- have always been an integral part of myself. In high school, I graduated with an extra 23 credits due to all the art classes & independent studies I let consume me. Photography & oil painting were a big focus growing up, handmade gifts and home renovations a regular pastime activity. Right before Covid hit, I stumbled upon a fluid artist (winterstrom-art.com) who's artistic style really ignited a fire inside of me to learn more. I found fluid art to be so wild & freeing, even if one were to follow the same recipe & basic technique, no two pieces will ever be exactly alike. The cells literally grow before your eyes & the sky's the limit to where your creativity can take you!  I have jumped down this amazing fluid art world rabbit hole, grabbing inspiration & tips from so many talented souls, excited to try new things & see where I'll end up!

What inspires me… Color schemes you can find in nature from a sunset, the pattern on a lizard, the color of a building - almost anything can make me want to jump into my studio to give whatever color combo a try. Watching someone use a new technique/pour style on youtube, wanting to test the boundaries of just how large I could possibly go with this style for the biggest impact. Having passion for something that gets you out of bed to create, just feels like playing & exploration, never a job you have to do.
After being told for many years that I should sell my work, I finally started up an Etsy page & let all my free time from my conventional job be consumed by my passion for making art. Making art & working for myself will hopefully be my full time main gig here within the next couple of years.

How did I discover my talent…I feel like things that you are naturally drawn to are how your true path in life is exposed. It's listening to your gut, following your passions to make yourself as happy as possible in life. That focus & genuine interest can evolve into what people consider talent.

My creative process…Something inside of me gets excited to test drive a new style of fluid art, or I'll order an amazing color shifting new pigment I can't wait to mix, or a friend will commission me to bring something to life for them - all start the wheels turning!

In five years, fingers crossed, I will be able to quit the regular job & have my Hunny Monkey Art House business as my full time focus, always expanding & profitable enough to avoid the "starving artist" cliché lol.

The message behind my work…Art is a universal uniter. It doesn't matter what language you speak, what color you are, the personal beliefs you have, everyone can find joy in the art world - music & visually. I hope my art can bring happiness & inspiration to others, and with a wide range of prices I'd hope everyone can find an awesome piece that speaks to them!

Meet Bob Desgrange from Robert Et. Desgrange Sales...

I first fell in love with woodturning when I was a teenager in high school in northern Ohio because of my shop teacher. It wasn't until I retired that I was able to put in more time to my favorite hobby. Since retirement three years ago, I've been able to explore different types of woodturning techniques with various types of wood.

I'm inspired to create from the way that each piece of wood is different; Mother Nature gives each piece a special design that I get to uncover through woodturning. Though I have been a vendor at other craft shows, I'm very excited to be partaking for the first time in an Avant-Garde Show!

Meet Robert Hartman From Backyard Shop...

I started my business sort of on accident. I have always loved to tinker, and people in my life took a strong liking to what I was making. As the people in my life shared where they had gotten my pieces, my business just started growing from nothing.

Eventually, I realized that I needed a name, and since my shop was in my back yard it just seemed fitting to name it for where I got started. I am constantly surprised at just how large my business has grown. 

Today, I make mostly custom cutting boards, charcuterie boards, flags, and other wall hanging decorations. On top of that, I like making custom items for people.


2023 Cincinnati Spring Avant-Garde Art & Craft Show
Sunday, March 19, 2020 - 10:00am-4:00pm
RSVP Event Center
453 Wards Corner Rd.
Loveland, OH 45140
For more information, contact Becki Silverstein at Becki@ag-shows.com
Visit us on:
LINKEDIN

No comments:

Post a Comment

See you in the AM Cincinnati!

  Meet Tracy Burns from Chaotic Love Designs ... Hi I'm Tracey, creater of Chaotic Love Designs. I am mom, wife beertender, tour guide, ...