Monday, February 25, 2019

It's Show Week!

Meet Marcela Raska from Shelalee...
Meet Shelalee team: We are two friends, moms, and wives. We love the outdoors, beaches, sipping coffee and chatting about everything and nothing. We are always in a hurry but can easily spend an hour analyzing a fashion magazine. One of the most frequent questions we get is “Are you sisters?”. Our answer is “kind of yes but not really”. Born and raised in communist Czechoslovakia, we played with the same toys, learned from the same textbooks and watched the same two TV channels just like all other children in the country.

Meet Shelalee jewelry: Our products include handcrafted rings, earrings, bracelets, and necklaces. Czech glass beads are meticulously selected and hugged together with American Sterling Silver components using an elastic cord or wire made in the USA. All of that is nested in a lovable box made of 100% recycled boxboard here in the USA. We started in Fall 2012.
This is our first Avant-Garde Art and Craft Show. We have attended several shows in our home town, Fort Thomas, KY and more recently in the Greater Cincinnati area. Simply said, life with all its branches: nature, our feelings and mood, people we meet, our customers and their ideas and everything all together.

We would love to give credit to our mothers for getting us into our crafting. They taught us to go beyond the obvious, did their magic with fabric and a sewing machine and were able to dress us up for any special occasions like no one else. Another push came when we met in Northern Kentucky, two friends trying to find a way to reflect our friendship, our common roots, the beauty of Czech (aka Bohemian) glass and its long history originated in the 13th century.
Through collaboration with each and every person who compliments what we do and challenges us with a new design project. We start with ideas, share and discuss, built upon them, test them, rework and sometimes laugh about them.

In five year, we plan on continuing to expanding our product offerings to inspire our customers and convey the virtue of beauty in women. We are trying to reach out to the woman who cares about her family, friends, and the community she is part of. She is a stay at home mom, a librarian, a nurse, a research assistant, an executive at a bank. No matter what she is, where she is, or how many things she juggles at any given moment, she knows that life is what she makes of it. That is what makes every women divinely unique and beautiful and that is the virtue of beauty we aim to inspire. 

Meet Lauren Tucker from Tucker Glassworks...
I formerly worked in oncology research but now I am a stay at home mother of 3.  I enjoy creating glass art and boxing in my spare time. I have been creating fused glass items for 15 years as a hobby and giving gifts to family and friends. I have finally decided to sell my craft after encouragement from others. I have been working with art glass for 15 years and this is my first Avant-Garde show!
I love experimenting and trying out new techniques.   One thing I love about glass fusing is I may have an idea of how a project is going to turn out but truly never know until the glass has cooled and I’ve opened my kiln. I have always loved glass jewelry and glass art.  I had a friend that was learning lamp working at the time and introduced me into creating art glass.  I ended up buying a kiln and a book in college and teaching myself how to fuse glass. Once I decided to learn this craft it was a lot about experimentation and developing my talent over time. I typically get inspired from the materials I have on hand.

In five years time, I hope to be continuing to support my hobby with craft shows and have some of my items in local stores.

Meet Denise McCabe from Gems of Summer...
I am a Midwest girl who has always dreamed of living by the ocean and in a place with more sunny days!  In addition to making jewelry, I craft quite a bit - crosstitch, embroidery, knitting, crochet and even quilling - most things that are detail oriented. I am also married to a wonderful man and have 3 awesomely fun kids. And I periodically work as a nurse. I like taking care of people. I’ve been making jewelry for over 10 years, selling on Etsy for 6 years and this is my first Art/Craft Show. This is my first Avant-Garde show! I am so excited (and nervous!)
Curiosity.  Nature.  I love figuring things out - how to make things, how to make things beautiful, how to translate the beauty of nature into wearable art and how to translate other art forms into jewelry! I’ve made things since I was little.  I started with cross stitch.  I also can distinctly making friendship bracelets (lots of them) when I was 10 years old and beaded necklaces in high school with seed beads I found in my Mom’s craft stuff.  Over 10 years ago, I had a co-worker who made me snowman earrings and I was intrigued and wanted to learn how to make them. Around the same time, I also had a black and white dress for a wedding and wanted a red beaded necklace to wear with it.  I couldn’t find one in any of the usual shops, so I got some beads and dental floss and made my first necklace. I got my first pair of pliers and my hobby of stringing beads grew into the fine art of learning and applying more complex techniques to jewelry making (and thankfully, no longer using dental floss) ðŸ˜Š.
Talent is a funny thing, sometimes you find it and sometimes it finds you.  I’ve dipped into many different jewelry techniques – stringing, wirework, chainmaille, embossing metal, metal etching, polymer clay, resin, leatherwork, kumihimo and now, beadweaving – before finding the one that resonates the most with my skills. I like to think that with each technique tried, I’ve honed my skills and found not only the one that I’m best at but also my favorite! I always liked working with tiny, detailed things. Working with seed beads, the tinier the better, are my favorite things to work with now and its relatively easy for me to see the shapes I want to create with seed beads and to figure out patterns. 
I am frequently looking for pattern inspiration online and out in real life.  I like taking pictures of animal skins or patterns on flower leaves or seeing images of quilts, fabrics or architecture to see what colors work well together and what would translate well into beadwork and jewelry. I see myself as very successful and selling more frequently in art/craft shows and also in a boutique. Unique…summer-inspired….just be you!

Meet Karen Farren from Say It With Script...

My name is Karen Farren and my business is "Say It With Script." I live in Loveland, Ohio with my husband David. I have 3 children - Carissa, 29, who lives in the D.C. area, Alex, 27, who lives in Covington, KY, and Samuel, 23, who lives in Louisville, KY. I have 1 granddaughter, Cora, who is 17 months and another granddaughter due in May! I have been teaching group fitness classes for 35 years and am currently teaching at Lifetime Fitness in Mason, Ohio and Tri-Health Fitness Pavillion in Blue Ash, Ohio. I have been writing in script since I was about 10 years old but didn't start my business until October of 2018. After many years of people telling me how beautiful my handwriting was I decided to turn it into a business! This is my first Avant Garde show.
I love to write, and that inspires me to create. I am always thinking of fresh creative ways to showcase my penmamship - my most recent is writing on mirrors and pasta! I have been doing arts and crafts since I was a child and always had a love for anything artsy. I have my Mom to thank - she was also very artsy and loved making beautiful things for people. I have been complimented on my penmanship since I learned to write. After years of hearing the compliments it gave me the confidence to share my God-given talent. My creative process is trying to think outside the box and create items that truly are unique. Every single piece of my work is hand lettered and created from start to finish. Nothing is printed or mass produced. 

In 5 years I want my work to be featured in "The Knot." The message in my work is "personalization." Every piece that I create is personal in some way. If I am scripting a favorite quote, it is the client's favorite quote. If the bride wants a sign with a special memory on it, the memory is hers and nobody elses. I add names to anything. Whatever I make I want it to be personalized in some way. There is no shortage of gifts that are mass produced and "anyone" can buy. I want my items to reflect a name, special place, thought, quote, vacation, or event that reflects the giver or the buyer.




2019 Cincinnati Spring Avant-Garde Art & Craft Show
Sunday, March 3rd, 2019 - 10:00am-4:00pm
Oasis Golf Club & Conference Center
902 Loveland-Miamiville Rd.
Loveland, OH 45140
For more information, contact Amanda Look, Event Coordinator at Amanda@ag-shows.com
Visit us on:
LINKEDIN

No comments:

Post a Comment

See you in the AM Cincinnati!

  Meet Tracy Burns from Chaotic Love Designs ... Hi I'm Tracey, creater of Chaotic Love Designs. I am mom, wife beertender, tour guide, ...