Tuesday, February 19, 2019

We're Coming Atcha, Cincy!

Meet Bethany Flick from Raven Aim Art...
I'm a mother of 2 and I work in Business Operations. This is my little escape from reality that I use for self-fulfillment. I've lost a lot of family within a year's time, and this was a way I found I could cope and smile again. I started dabbling in resin art and acrylic pour in December but took a liking to pastels and still life sketches in high school. Typically writing and poetry are my artistic outlet. This will be my first Avant-Garde show! 
Having to align with society's rules puts such confining expectations on me as a person. This lets me drop my walls and allows me to be confident in having the feelings I do without guilt. As much as I enjoy writing poetry, what I write tends to come out dark and ominous. I never smiled through it, no matter how proud I was by my work. This art is so happy, colorful, and fruitful that I found my smile again, so it's stuck. I decided one day that I wanted to see if I had what it took, the science/measuring ratios of it as well as the passion to make it something beautiful that people would want to see every day in their homes. It was an "Art or Bust" type decision when I made the investment purchase. After my first piece came out, my husband expressed his secret doubt he had in me, but then we fell in love with the final product and decided to pursue it.
If I'm making pieces in general, I turn my most upbeat music on in my work space and just let things flow. I know my initial idea will never hold since the medium is quite unpredictable, but I just let things flow where they may, and let go of the control I try to put on everything else in my life. That's when I end up happiest with the end. If I'm making an order for someone in particular, I like to ask them what kind of music/artist is their favorite, and I listen to them while I work so I can feel like I'm vibing with them while making their piece. 
Hopefully, in five years, I've gained a good social media following, just sharing what makes me smile. I'd like to be present at more shows regularly and to be steadily working on projects. Life is unpredictable. It does things that leaves you feeling out of control, hurt, and depressed. We have to remember that sometimes, letting things go and just going with the flow can lead to peace. It can take you to a place where you can smile again as long as you just remember that there is always light. It might be the dimmest light ever or just "less dark", but it's there waiting for you to find it. 

Meet Debbie Brown from Spice Spice Baby...
We are a couple that started this business because we wanted to offer good, affordable spices to people who like to cook. We have been creating our recipes for about 8 months.This is our first Avant-Garde show and we are super excited!
Our customers inspire us.  With their ever growing ideas and repeat interest in our business products, we want to keep them coming back for new and exciting spices. We felt like there wasn't a place in Cincinnati that offered good, fresh, affordable and fun spices for home cooks and. chefs. We wanted to change that. We discovered out love for creating spics because my husband is a chef so he likes to play around with ideas a lot in the kitchen!
In five years, we hope to continue doing pop-up shows and events and possibly open our own brick and mortar store. The message behind our work is this - with the right products, anyone can be a good cook and we are here to offer you those products and let you prove it! 
Meet Michael Halsey from Little Turtle Woodworking...
I have been married for 8 years. I have two children. My passion is woodworking and family. I have been woodworking off and on for 8 years and this is will be my first show with Avant-Garde, and only my third show overall
I just simply enjoy the process of making something from nothing and being able to take an image in my head and create it with wood. I was involved in construction for most of my life, I’ve always loved making things with my hands, and when my wife asked if I could try to make a dining table I decided that this process of taking raw wood and creating things of function and beauty was something that I really wanted to one day do full time.
My first official project was creating a right food dining room table for my wife for making memories with family, I had a very very limited amount of “woodworking tools” and woodworking knowledge at the time but greatly enjoyed the process and was hooked. Each new project has its own unique creative process, unless it is a commissioned piece, I will typically have an idea in my head and slowly create as I go, really only pre-plan requested pieces for clients. 
In five years, we plan to turn our creations into a full-time family business! There is no message behind our work, we just love creating beautiful handcrafted woodworking creations!

Meet Linda Getz from B J and M Creative Designs...
My name is Linda Getz and I have lived in Fairfield all my life. I graduated from Miami University in Oxford with a Bachelor’s Degree in Education. I am currently in my 29th year at St. Ann Catholic School in Hamilton teaching sixth grade. I have many animals that I have rescued and adopted. 
I have been sewing and doing crafts since I was ten years old. I combine my love of teaching and sewing by offering classes for children.  I am new to craft shows and this is my first Avant Garde event. 
I have always loved sewing and creating something new. My Mom was a sewer and loved crafts and passed her knowledge onto me. A lot of my business is from customers who have lost a loved one and I make memory bears or quilts from their clothes.  It gives me pleasure knowing I am giving comfort to others. I see myself in the next five years expanding my business, attending more craft shows, and selling online. 


2019 Cincinnati Spring Avant-Garde Art & Craft Show
Sunday, March 3rd, 2019 - 10:00am-4:00pm
Oasis Golf Club & Conference Center
902 Loveland-Miamiville Rd.
Loveland, OH 45140
For more information, contact Amanda Look, Event Coordinator at Amanda@ag-shows.com
Visit us on:
LINKEDIN

No comments:

Post a Comment

See you in the AM Cincinnati!

  Meet Tracy Burns from Chaotic Love Designs ... Hi I'm Tracey, creater of Chaotic Love Designs. I am mom, wife beertender, tour guide, ...