Wednesday, February 13, 2019

Spring Has Almost Sprung!

Meet Joanie Weidner from J's CollageScapes...
By the time of this art show I will be four months from retirement. Although my job has been a real joy — Administrative Assistant for a middle school — my new-found freedom from 8 am to 4 pm will give me time to do what I love and what nurtures me... to be creative. I was a quiet, shy child so art became the my way to express. I have been creative for as long as I can remember. Before discovering my love for collage, I’ve expressed myself in drawing, jewelry, print making, batik, and other media. I am a member of the Kennedy Heights Art Center Artist Collective and recently displayed my work at the members’ art show. When I am not lost in my latest collage creation, I can be found gardening, reading, and traveling with my husband and biggest fan, Jeffry. I have been creating collages since 2013 and this is my first Avant Garde art show!
It’s more of a calling to let out the varied nuances of my inner world. I have no idea what will show up. My regular practice of mediation does make it easier to let it flow from my hands to to the canvas. I create to bring a smile to others. The joy found in exploring the various art supplies and mediums. After making larger collages for a while I came across these mini canvases and loved how my creative process became more fluid.

I took a class at our local art center 6 years ago and fell in the love with the flexibility of collage making. If you don’t like how something looks you just add to the canvas — put another piece of paper over it! It is a limitless, free form of creating. Perfection is not required, willingness to explore textures is all it takes.
My workroom is surrounded by magazines, wrapping paper, calendars, any paper that has an image or texture. I look through it, something grabs my attention, I tear it out and lay it down, then I do it again and again, forming an idea, a pleasing display of color and shapes. Sometimes the image is very obvious, other times it is not. There are stories in each one, but the stories are for the viewer’s interpretation. No two are alike. I surprise myself, often thinking, “where did that come from?!”

In 5 years I see myself spreading my talent to a larger territory; making a vacation out of it. Creating a website. Knowing that I have the ability to create when I want and as much as I want in my retirement years gives me a sense of purpose. As always, I remain open to possibilities.
I believe I give everything I see in the world the all meaning it has for me. So others will create their own message depending on how they choose to look at my work. My greatest hope is that the message to “stay open to wonder” will be seen and felt.

My Mini CollageScapes are sold with a black easel. Although this is they way I am marketing them, there are other creative ways to display them. For example, staple a looped ribbon to the back to hang it on a wall. Change them with the seasons. Keep some on hand for gift giving.

Meet Sherry Steffan from Sherry Steffan Designs...
I have been making jewelry for about 10 yrs. I worked full-time and created/did shows at night and weekends. It was getting a little overwhelming, so I decided to put me 1st and quit my job. I became a realtor so I could have more time to make jewelry.  
I haven't done an Avant-Garde show but I have heard so many great things about it! My inspirations come from life, nature, and happiness. I started making jewelry because I wanted certain style and couldn't ever find. When I would wear my creations, and people would buy it off of me. The inspiration spins in my head for awhile, then usually scribble it down, then create. Hopefully, I will be selling in 10 shops around town and doing shows. Inspiration and meaning behind each piece can be different for everyone.

Meet Ariana Larson from Counselor Creations...
I started my business in November of 2018, so I am in my first year! This will be my first one and I am very excited to be a part of it this year! I have always loved to create, it has always been an outlet for me. Whenever I was upset or needed alone time or time to think, I always turned to creating. I can’t say I gather inspiration from just one place or that there is just one reason, sometimes I just create to create because I truly enjoy it!
No photo description available.
I have been crafting pretty much my entire life, my mom has always been into crafting and I have always had a deep love for creating. In high school, I took a calligraphy elective and have been loving calligraphy and hand lettering ever since. I can’t say I have a pinpointed moment or time that I discovered this, but I had friends see my work and even acquaintances who would tell me they would love to buy my work or order custom pieces. At that time I was still in graduate school and didn’t have time to begin a business, but it was something that stuck with me and I decided when I had the time, I would begin my business.
No photo description available.
That’s a hard one because it isn’t always the same! I use music a lot in my creative process, music has always moved me deeply as it does for many of us. Majority of the time, I just pick up my pencil and paper and create whatever I am feeling. I would love to eventually open an Etsy shop and be able to reach people all around the world with my creations!
No photo description available.
I would say it is to create what refreshes your soul. Crafting for me has always been a recharging activity that I lose myself in and it is amazing to bring that into homes of others and spark joy to create.


2019 Cincinnati Spring Avant-Garde Art & Craft Show
Sunday, March 3rd, 2019 - 10:00am-4:00pm
Oasis Golf Club & Conference Center
902 Loveland-Miamiville Rd.
Loveland, OH 45140
For more information, contact Amanda Look, Event Coordinator at Amanda@ag-shows.com
Visit us on:
LINKEDIN

No comments:

Post a Comment

See you in the AM Cincinnati!

  Meet Tracy Burns from Chaotic Love Designs ... Hi I'm Tracey, creater of Chaotic Love Designs. I am mom, wife beertender, tour guide, ...