Thursday, February 28, 2019

One More Preview!

Meet Sheri Lansing from Simple Joy...
We are sisters, with 7 children between us both, who have for the past 30+ years enjoyed living life together, and making time amidst the craziness of motherhood to enjoy peace and joy. Our favorite memories until two years ago included a half marathon, a triathlon, and lots of Saturday morning runs. We’ve always loved working out together (and still do) but two years ago, when a back injury left one of us unable to work out, we wanted to find another way to still grow closer in our relationship and spend time with one another.
We started making Tree of Life ornaments, suncatchers, and necklaces. Hours spent crafting made new memories and brought lots of laughter and loving conversations. We spent all of 2018 crafting together and coming up with new ideas while still holding close to the concept of a tree that breathes life. Finally, from a wonderful mother in our life, we participated in a craft show and met some really beautiful people who enjoyed our products as much as we did. From there, we grew our business online and at other craft shows, meeting so many new people and experiencing pure joy from delivering this product to them. This is our first Avant-Garde craft show are we are so excited to share our products! In future years, our hope is that people are still smiling at something we created with our God-given talents.
Why the Tree of Life? On our journey for a joyful relationship, we realized that everyone we met has something or someone that breathes life into them. Whether it’s the promise of a Savior, faith, family or friends, a child whose smile changed a life, grandchildren that made arms never tire of holding, or a loss of someone special whose memory longs to be honored. That is what our Tree of Life symbolizes to us and our hope is that this small token brings joy to many people. We love making products that bring joy to others and in those moments, we experience joy ourselves. It’s that simple. Simple Joy.

Meet Lacie Turcott from Queen Bee Ceramics...
My name is Lacie and I operate as Queen Bee Ceramics. I love making ceramic pieces of all sorts and functions inspired by bees! I have been working with clay since 2008 and began my small business in 2015 after falling in love with bees, the honeybee's hexagonal honeycomb shape, and becoming obsessed with incorporating them into everything that I could. This will be my first Avant-Garde show!

Working with clay is therapeutic and a wonderful way to express my creativity while creating beautiful and functional pieces of pottery. I'm a studio member (and soon to be teacher!) at Queen City Clay and the community there inspires me everyday to push myself towards constant improvement and honing of my craft. My first ceramics course was in college, at Ohio University, where I was fortunate enough to learn from and work beside extremely talented artists. I was instantly hooked after my first Intro to Wheel course and remained enrolled in every ceramics course that I could while attaining my BFA in Photography. After a post-college hiatus, I returned to the wheel in 2014 under the instruction of Michael English and it was like riding a bike. The muscle-memory kicked in and the endorphins surged - I was again hooked and haven't stepped away since.
I tend to visualize the end result first - what do I want to make and how do I want it to look and feel? That dictates what clay body I want to use, whether i want to throw the piece on a wheel or use hand-building/sculptural techniques instead, and how I want to fire it. Since Queen City Clay built a Salt Kiln a few years ago, I usually lean towards firing my pieces in the Salt Kiln as I am a big fan of the atmospheric firing technique. I would love to be operating as a full-time potter in about five year's time. The idea of supporting my family with my passion is a dream, for sure.

I believe that bee conservation is a crucial focus right now, during this time where the effects of global warming and human pesticide use are on the rise. I donate a portion of my proceeds to bee conservation research and I keep native Mason bees myself, as well as a pollinator garden, to do everything that I can as an individual for the cause. Since my pieces all feature bees or honeycomb in some fashion, they serve as reminders that our tiny winged friends are important in our daily lives.


Meet Kati and Juliette from Just Sayin’...
My mom, Kati, is a hard-working single mother and I’m not far behind her. She is a CCAD graduate while and I am currently pursuing a business management degree at the Fisher College of Business at OSU. The mother and daughter duo works well because we can see multiple points of view when they work as one. We have both always loved art and are very excited to be starting the venture of Just Sayin’ and sharing it with you all! Just Sayin’ was just created in January of 2019! We are brand new and full of enthusiasm. We are a sister company of the franchise PAKMail which ships anything anywhere, including our signs to your friends and family out of state. This will be our first show ever! We are thrilled to work with the staff of the Avant-Garde Art and Craft Shows. We hope for this show to go well and we hope people will enjoy what we do.
My mother and I are pretty good at inspiring each other. That alone can be enough. Sometimes, hearing a quirky comment or hearing a funny line of a song can make us think of a new sign and we try to help each other remember the ideas we have throughout each day. It began when our family friend was working with signs and my mother fell in love with the process when she helped her make those signs. On top of naturally being more artistic, my mother discovered a new talent when she was working with our friend and she was coming up with great ideas for her friend's signs and decided to make some of her own.
We take inventory of the wood pieces we currently have and consider what we think might look good on each piece. Once we have an idea, my mom designs our images in photoshop and we print them out with a Cricut. Then we use sponges and paint brushes in order to get the paint on the wood, along with staining some of our wood. Within the next five years, my mother and I would love to have an art studio of our own and be able to have workshops so we can share our process with others. Our message is to enjoy the little pleasures in life! You may not need a sign but adding a quirky sign in your home might be just what you need to smile throughout the day.

Meet Amanda and John Lambert from Lamb Baked Goods... Lamb Baked Goods is owned by us, Amanda and John Lambert.  I handle most of the baking while John handles bookkeeping and homeschooling our two kids and helps in the kitchen as needed. I have been selling baked goods out of our home since 2012. We just made the decision to go full-time with it this year. Columbus will be our first Avante-Garde show, but we are signed up for others!

I get my inspiration from whatever I see around me. I got into baking for 4H at around age 8. I then started selling goods at garage sales in 2012 and it has continued to grow since then. I realized that she could put artistic expression into my foods and my inspiration has continued to refine from that. I scour Pinterest a lot for ideas that I can make into my own. I sometimes receive requests for certain things and try to make the vision of the customer come to life.
Our five-year goal is to continue full-time with craft shows, growing nearer to Jesus and shining Him to everyone we encounter at shows. Our primary message is John 6:35: "Jesus said, 'I am the bread of life. He who comes to me will not hunger, and he who believes in me will never thirst.'" A secondary message is Psalm 34:8a: "Taste and see that the Lord is good."

Meet Patricia Dume-Ross from Craft O'Clock...
I am a wife and mother of 2 teenagers, I am also a photographer. I love personalized things, whether its a cup, blanket, bag, makeup bag... anything personalized I think gives that item something special. Love to create and learn 
new things, always looking for the newest, coolest thing to offer. I have officially been doing this for almost a year, and this is my first Avant-Garde show and I am so excited!

I love figuring out how to create exactly what my customers want and The look on their face when they see their custom, made-to-order item is definitely something that gives me inspiration to create. I love color, texture and GLITTER!! coming up with shiny unique ideas for my clients, my heart is poured in every single one of my creations. This started as my "me' time, a way for me to relax and just BE and DO what makes me happy and it became a way to bring joy to other people which makes my heart so happy! It all started with a gift my husband got me for Christmas a couple years ago... 
Sometimes my creative process can be a client that wants something and they just give me a concept, sometimes It's the need to create a new item, sometimes I just see something I like and that inspires me. But it all starts with a thought most of the time. Sometimes i'll wake up in the middle of the night with an idea! Hopefully, in five years, I will be opening my own shop and maybe shipping internationally.

My message is simple...Love & Happiness can be accomplished through little things. Like i said, every single one of the items I put my hands on, has my heart. I love to think that whether it's a gift or something that people get for themselves, it will bring joy and happiness with a little extra color & shine to it.





2019 Cincinnati Spring Avant-Garde Art & Craft Show
Sunday, March 3rd, 2019 - 10:00am-4:00pm
Oasis Golf Club & Conference Center
902 Loveland-Miamiville Rd.
Loveland, OH 45140
For more information, contact Amanda Look, Event Coordinator at Amanda@ag-shows.com
Visit us on:
LINKEDIN

No comments:

Post a Comment

See you in the AM Cincinnati!

  Meet Tracy Burns from Chaotic Love Designs ... Hi I'm Tracey, creater of Chaotic Love Designs. I am mom, wife beertender, tour guide, ...