Thursday, June 6, 2019

A Summer Sneak Peek!

Meet Valerie Woebkenberg of Meet The Author...
I enjoyed a full-time teaching career helping young students to love reading and learning. I now give school presentations and work as a substitute teacher. I enjoy travel researching topics for future books, and seeking adventure along the way. I have been speaking at schools and presenting my books since 2012 when The Story the Little Christmas Tree Told was published.
This will be my third Avant-Garde show. I’m excited to be participating and look forward to meeting both attendees and other artists. I am also proud to be supporting the Dragonfly Foundation and the good work they do.


The young readers, parents, and friends who follow Miles (the main character in the Miles Across America books) inspire me to continue writing. It’s wonderful to have children be as excited about the adventure of a little cat as I am. As an elementary teacher, I am familiar with all types of children’s literature and one of the most enjoyable parts of the school day was reading aloud to the students. It seemed very natural for me to write my own books to read aloud. I love reading with the expressions that I imagine Miles would use if he were speaking English.
I visualize Miles in the location of the historical event and imagine a story in which he becomes part of the telling of the event. Then I write in his voice to create exciting, interesting, and imaginative stories for children. Writing a book is not a linear process, writing, research, working with my illustrator and the publisher, etc. is all happening at the same time. Sometimes I refer to it as organized chaos. When it all comes together, it’s beautiful.


I am currently researching and writing the next two books in the Miles Across America series and I hope to have them published in the next few years. I would also like to widen my circle of audiences to include schools beyond Ohio. My writing career has been an unexpected, but wonderful “next chapter” in my life. I want to encourage young readers to see events in history as more than names and dates and to enjoy the adventure that is between the covers a new book.



Meet Tholakele Thompson from JB Vuvo, LLC...
I work full time as a Business Intelligence Analyst. I am a mother of 3 beautiful children. I have been crafting for a long time, 2006 was the first time I had an idea for a jewelry stand to store earrings tangle free. I tried to get a patent and it didn’t work out. I dropped the idea and went to college and got a degree in Computer Science.  2016 is when I decided to re-visit the idea and then this idea for the bracelet and necklace stand came up. This is my first time participating in and Avant-Garde show!
I was trying to solve a problem I was having; Storing my bracelets and necklaces... tangle free. That is how I came upon the idea to make my own stand! There is nothing like my product currently available at Walmart, JC Penny etc. I always threw my stuff in a drawer and it would end up all tangled up. I see this as an efficient way to store and display jewelry tangle free. I work with an Amish gentlemen that cuts, glues, sands and finish the stands while I measure, drill and attach hooks. I am really serious with taking the idea to higher heights this time. In five years time, I see myself doing this as a full-time business.

Meet Carol Hauser from Wooden Creations...
I'm Carol Hauser and retired from Miami University. In my retirement I was able to spend more time on woodworking, a passion I've had for years. I now show and sell my work at the Oxford Community Art Center in Oxford, Ohio. I'm an active member of the Ohio Valley Wood-turners Guild and do much of my work at the Manufactory in Cincinnati, Ohio. I started with wood carving in the early 90's. I went on to learn how to make jewelry boxes, bowls, pens, cut outs and various other things. This is my first show with Avant-Garde. I'm very excited!

I've always loved walking and exploring in the woods. In fact, I started my career as a biology teacher. I like working with wood because it's alive, if
something is done right the grain just pops and demonstrates an unmatched natural beauty. I never thought of selling things, I gave them to family and friends. Then, I was invited to join the Oxford Community Art Center Art shop because they had lost their woodworker. I was an experience the put me in a situation with other artists and it was incredibly affirming. It gave me the courage to try to sell my work.

 think that probably most  people have multiple talents. Something sparks and you begin to become passionate about developing whatever it is that you have. Practice and training uncover various layers of talent and meaning. It becomes such a part of your life that you would feel like you were incomplete without the opportunity to work in wood. My favorite way to work is to pick up a piece of wood, study it, look at the grain, the knots, the texture and shape and figure out what it wants to be. But, I have to admit that most of the time I have a project in mind and find wood to match my vision.
I'm not looking to build a dynasty. Just last year I tried 2 craft shows and they went quite well. I'm more about financing what I want to do than doing it as a big business. You can see beauty in the most ordinary things. Surround yourself with beauty and your life will be enriched. 

2019 Cincinnati Summer Avant-Garde Art & Craft Show
Sunday, June 23rd, 2019 - 10:00am-4:00pm
Oasis Golf Club & Conference Center
902 Loveland-Miamiville Rd.
Loveland, OH 45140
For more information, contact Amanda Look, Event Coordinator at Amanda@ag-shows.com
Visit us on:
LINKEDIN

No comments:

Post a Comment

See you in the AM Cincinnati!

  Meet Tracy Burns from Chaotic Love Designs ... Hi I'm Tracey, creater of Chaotic Love Designs. I am mom, wife beertender, tour guide, ...