Tuesday, June 18, 2019

Show Week Sneak Peek!

Meet Susan Groh from When Chocolates Not Enough...
My name is Susan Groh, and I retired from working in medical research at the University of Cincinnati Medical Center 4 1/2 years ago.  My husband and I bought a small camper and have been discovering our beautiful country over the last several years, and I have been enjoying gardening and catching up on movies and books I never seemed to have the time to dedicate myself to while working.  Still waiting for grandchildren!  
I made my first microwaveable shoulder pad about four years ago and gave it to my Mother-In-Law to use for her arthritis and general body aches.  Less than a year ago I began sewing more earnestly and expanding the product line to make the heat pads more useful to those who needed comfort. This is my first Avant-Garde Arts and Craft Show and I am very excited to be a part of it.
I enjoy being able to provide items that help people heal or just help them find comfort after an exhausting or strenuous day. I sort of fell into making my products for sale at craft fairs.  My Mother-In-Law uses her shoulder pad several times daily for overall body aches, and she was using it for her abdominal pain the day my Sister-In-Law took her to the hospital for a bowel obstruction.  During her stay in the hospital, her microwaveable heating pad was allowed to be used (hospitals do not allow electric heating pads to be used), so someone in the family was usually seen at the microwave on the her hospital floor warming it up for her.  One of the nurses asked if I would sell her one, so I did.  She said, "I want to see you selling these at the next craft fair I go to!"  That started me sewing...and here I am with my own little company!
I have sewn since I was a pre-teen, with having a Mom that sewed as needed and a good friend who I like to call Mary Poppins helping me along the way.

How do I describe my creative process?  I live my father's mantra when he would work with wood.  "Seventy percent planning, thirty percent work," he would always say.  I would figure out a way to help fulfill a need and start sewing. In five years, I see myself doing as I am doing now.  Providing products to help comfort people by selling at craft fairs throughout the city. As my company name says, "When Chocolate's Not Enough...,"  sometimes you need comfort beyond the magic of the cocoa bean!

Meet Connie Ciolino of Connie's Crochets...

My name is Connie Ciolino.  Born and raised on the east side of Cincinnati.  I spent 18 years in West Palm Beach, FL and returned home about 6 years ago.  I picked up the crochet hook when I needed something to keep my mind off all the things happening.  I also work full time and pick up the hook after I get home. I’ve been crocheting now for about 5 years now.  I’m self-taught and I love challenges. I look for new stitches and techniques and I like to make things that are unique in nature.  

I have been crafting for approximately 5 years. This will be my very first Avant-Garde Show and I’m looking forward to it I consider crocheting a form of art where I can choose which colors of yarn to put together to create something that is unique and beautiful I lost the love of my life back in 2012 and found it very difficult to grow accustomed to the solitude that surrounded me.  My sisters crocheted quite frequently, and I thought to myself that I could do this.
      
I’ve always been very artistic, rather it be drawing, painting or making things.  I used to sew a lot in my younger days. The more I made things by crocheting the better I became.  I even ventured out and started creating my own crochet patterns and selling them on Etsy.com. I view Pinterest a lot to get ideas of what people have made and then I try to figure out how to make that item better and more creative where people would like it using my own style and creativity. I’m nearing retirement age and I’d like to continue crafting as I have been creating items leisurely that people enjoy and want.

As mentioned previously, I believe crocheting is a form of art that allows me to experiment and exercise the freedom to create items that are one of a kind and unique.  A lot of my items can be handed down from generation to generation as a keepsake.

Meet Susan Draheim of Nana's Snax Shoppe...
I am married to an amazing man with 3 wonderful children. I am also a Nana of 5 spunky little girls. I have worked in catering for the past 13 years & looking for something fun to do with family.
I am actually brand new to the world of creating these tasty snax, I've only have been doing this for about to two months! This will be my first show and I am very excited.
My friends and family are truly what inspire me to create. I got into this hobby by experimenting with different snax’s around my home. My family and friends tried them and loved them, and the rest was history!
I have always made these tasty snax’s for friends, parties, and other small get-together's, and that is what made me want to start creating them for everyone. My creative process is really just trying out different seasonings to see what works best. I have some fails, but that inspires me to improve my products.
In five years time I would love to be in a small store front in my local village. The message behind my work is simple: Creativity with every bite you take!



2019 Cincinnati Summer Avant-Garde Art & Craft Show
Sunday, June 23rd, 2019 - 10:00am-4:00pm
Oasis Golf Club & Conference Center
902 Loveland-Miamiville Rd.
Loveland, OH 45140
For more information, contact Amanda Look, Event Coordinator at Amanda@ag-shows.com
Visit us on:
LINKEDIN

No comments:

Post a Comment

See you in the AM Cincinnati!

  Meet Tracy Burns from Chaotic Love Designs ... Hi I'm Tracey, creater of Chaotic Love Designs. I am mom, wife beertender, tour guide, ...