Thursday, June 20, 2019

Don't Miss Out!!

Meet Shelly Bauer of Purple Birch Shop...
My name is Shelly, and I've always had a love for art, crafts, and making things ever since I was little.  I'm a mother of two amazing boys and we have two rescue dogs.  My husband, Andrew, also has a talent for making things.  He does all the woodworking for our items, from cutting/building, sanding, staining, and sealing. He is also very hands-on with many of the items we create.   
    
We began selling our items in December 2018, but we have been creating items for personal use as long as I can remember. This is my first Avant-Garde show! I'm always inspired by my boys, and things they are interested in.  I also enjoy window shopping and exploring Pinterest/Facebook groups for new ideas and trends to put my own spin on.
Our craft business really began with baby shoes.  I discovered a pattern for them around Christmas a few years ago.  I had purchased coordinating pajamas for our family, and I thought it would be fun to add matching slippers as well.  Ever since the first pair, I have been obsessed with these adorable little booties.  My oldest son learned to walk in the soft-soled shoes, and my youngest has been wearing them since birth.  As for our wood items, my husband has always been extremely creative and talented when it comes to woodworking.  We decided to combine our two talents, and create a variety of handcrafted and hand painted wood signs, planter hangers, cutting boards, etc.  It is always fun giving him a new challenge of something I would like for him to create. I have always enjoyed crafting.  I love the idea of taking some sort of raw material, whether it be fabric, wood, or paint, and turn it into something.  I would typically gift some sort of handmade items for holidays, birthdays, showers. new babies, etc., and it was always very well received.   Friends and family have been extremely supportive and encouraging us to sell items.  After hearing "you should sell this" or being asked "do you have a shop?" a few times, I realized there might be a market for what we create. 
I LOVE fabric shopping and usually can't wait to sew up something new when I purchase new material.  If I'm ever feeling uninspired, a quick trip to the store usually takes care of that!  I'm also inspired by practical things I would like in my own home, or by ideas presented by customers, friends and family.  Sometimes I have a vision of the end product in mind, and other times I don't really know exactly what an item will look like until it's complete.  I also love creating custom and one of a kind personalized items.  In the next five years I would love to expand our business to have a bigger online presence through the creation of a website as well as begin carrying items in local boutiques. 
We are proud of the items we create and we believe quality is what sets us apart.  We pay close attention to detail and believe it shows in the items we create.  Each item is handcrafted and/or hand painted, you can see and feel the quality of our items in person. 

Meet Michele Meyers of Buddha Bottle Co...
My name is Michele Meyers.  I am a Mom, HR Professional, and Artist with a passion for creating art from materials not normally combined, such as a rusty ¾ inch hex bolt and a baby blue single ply wool and acrylic blend.   My only addiction in life is soda. I found myself keeping the empty soda bottles after indulging. I was not completely sure why I was keeping them, probably because in the back of my mind I thought maybe in 50 years an old Coke bottle would be worth enough for me to retire on.  My daughter hit the teenage years and slowly started needing me less and less, disappearing to her room more and more. So combine all of those things – my love of creating, soda addiction, and a lot more free time – and you get Buddha Bottle Co.
The message behind my work is a message that I am very passionate about – there is no “normal”.   As babies, the world is a blank slate. Our reality is shaped by our parents, society, religion, school, etc.  Society leads us to believe we have to look a certain way or achieve specific goals in order to be “normal” and accepted.  I have learned that this is a false notion. We need to celebrate our individuality, embrace our differences, and do crazy things like decorate soda bottles with bolts and flowers.
In 5 years, I hope my business continues to provide me with joy.  My creative process involves several steps, all of which I perform in my makeshift “studio” aka my garage and living room.  I do all of the painting in my garage and all of the embellishing in my living room. Creating at home allows me to be present for my teenage daughter and two dogs, Sky and Riley.  It really is the best of both worlds.
Meet Kelly Stone of K. Stone Creations...
My name is Kelly and I recently started K.Stone Creations.  I am a happy to call myself a newcomer to the world of Artisans: specifically the art of beading and jewelry making.  For years my background had been in healthcare. I loved being in a profession where I could offer my heart and talents in a way that would bring hope and healing to others. I was fortunate to have a 15 year career in direct patient care as well as managing a large team of gifted professionals. My course took an abrupt turn when at the age of 36, I suffered a stroke.  The pathway of professional turned patient has been both challenging and extremely humbling. Rehabilitation is not easy and it has taken a lot of work to find myself amidst the changes that occurred. I feel very fortunate that in addition to my beautiful partner, two amazing children, Merrell the aussiedoodle, and loving family, the places I continually find joy are in the arts and nature. I've been focused on the art of jewelry making for the last year. This will be my first Avant-Garde Show!
I have and always will be someone who loves using my time and talents for others. To be able to make something one of a kind for someone that will create a lasting memory for them is such a rewarding feeling.  I work hard to put that uniqueness and care into the pieces I create. I have a beautiful neighbor, named Roberta, who is in her 80s and recently widowed. She is an extremely gifted artist who has spent many years of her life devoted to her crafts.  Roberta knew of my stroke and my struggles. She has become a great supporter in my life, taking me under her wing, and mentoring me the art of beading and jewelry making.
I found myself feeling inspired by Roberta's teachings and the more I made and shared with family and friends, the more I wanted to create.  It has been with great persistence (and many mistakes) that I discovered this was something I really enjoyed.
I don't know how many can relate, but once I am "All In", my mind races with ideas and at all hours of the day and night! Many a-nights I have dreamt about beading and woke having to get my thoughts down before I could fall back to sleep! I take pictures, make drawings, jot down notes in my phone and then spend time going back and reviewing before I start a project. When it comes to crafting a piece, I spend a great deal of time planning before diving in.  My Type A definitely likes to try to dominate creative process!
In five years, I hope to still be creating. To still be learning. To be reaching as many people as I can.  I have only just started an instagram page but hope in five years to tap into an online market. In addition, I hope to be more intimately networked.  Both in my career in healthcare as well as this opportunity as an Artisan, I think there is so much to gain from networking with other gifted and talented artists!  
The message behind my work is this; Without a doubt, be your authentic self: find your passion and live it!

Meet Elizabeth Barron of Elizabeth Barron, LLC...
Prior to shifting her photography hobby into a career, I spent 20 years in the
technology industry. But, for as long as I can remember, being in nature is
always where I felt most at home. When I’m not working and spending time
with family, I spend most of my time with my camera in the abundant parks and
nature preserves in the greater Cincinnati area. I have a deep appreciation and
love for all plants, flowers, insects, and animals, and enjoys telling their stories
through photography. I post a unique nature photo a day on my Instagram
(@elizabethnphoto) and Facebook (@elizabethbarronphotography) accounts.
I am a member of the Professional Photographers of America, and working to
complete my OCVN Ohio Naturalist certification.
I have been a photographer for many years, but have only made it my full time
profession this year. This is my first Avant-Garde show! I love finding things in
nature that other people might miss, or walk past. I feel that every single plant,
insect, flower, tree, and animal has a unique story to tell, even the ones that we
consider commonplace. Nature’s miracles are everywhere! I have loved creative
hobbies since I was a little kid. I blame my mother and grandmother; we spent
hours and hours doing arts and crafts. :)
I don’t know if I have a “talent” or if I just practice a lot. When you’re doing
something you love, you will naturally get better at it with time, because you
love it! I’ve taken over 50,000 nature photos in my life, and I still have a lot to
improve. I simply take every chance I can to get out in nature and see what I
can discover. I try and find new angles and perspectives that people may not
have noticed before. During my photo post processing, I sometimes tweak the
settings to give photos a unique look, while still honoring the beauty of the
subject.
Honestly, in five years, I hope to just be making enough money to keep me
going. I am not in this to make millions or grow an empire, I simply want to be
able to continue to be in the woods with my camera. :)
The mission of my business is to foster our kinship with nature. In everything I
do, whether it be commissioned work, or floral product photography or fine art
prints, I want that to be the end goal. I chose the word kinship because it
represents more than just a “connection.” The word “kinship” also encompasses
respect, appreciation, oneness, unity, acknowledgment, compassion, and love
for the world in which we are a part.



2019 Cincinnati Summer Avant-Garde Art & Craft Show
Sunday, June 23rd, 2019 - 10:00am-4:00pm
Oasis Golf Club & Conference Center
902 Loveland-Miamiville Rd.
Loveland, OH 45140
For more information, contact Amanda Look, Event Coordinator at Amanda@ag-shows.com
Visit us on:
LINKEDIN

No comments:

Post a Comment

See you in the AM Cincinnati!

  Meet Tracy Burns from Chaotic Love Designs ... Hi I'm Tracey, creater of Chaotic Love Designs. I am mom, wife beertender, tour guide, ...