Friday, November 18, 2022

Cincinnati Shopping Weekend Ahead!

Meet Zara Staleva from NYAJ (Not Your Average Jewelry)...

Hi my name is Zara. I'm a senior student at the University of Cincinnati DAAP majoring in Fashion Design. I've been creating the NYAJ jewelry for 4 years now but the actual brand started 2021. This is my first time taking part in the Avant-Garde Art & Craft Show and I'm very excited to be part of it. I'm a person who likes creating things and to create beauty in places people don't really see it. The NYAJ jewelry happened as an accident and at first it was a huge experiment and a hobby. Last year it came to a point where I decided that I should share this with the world and let other people experience the authenticity and unique nature of the jewlery. I would say my biggest influence and inspiration is listening to music and TEDTalks. 

My creative process is a very much order and chaos mixed together. The pieces are made from recycled plastic water bottles and melting the plastic is hard to control, you never know what shape you are going to end up with. You can manipulate the shape but it's never the exact same thing. That's why I would say earrings are the hardest product to create because they have to be same or at least similar. I believe that this technique is the advantage of the brand because it truly gives authenticity and individuality to each product. Today customization and individuality has become more and more important to customers, everyone wants to show that they are different and outstanding in their own way. That is why I believe the pieces are very modern and up to date with people's fashion choices. 

In 5 years from now I would love to have a physical location- a boutique downtown Cincinnati, where I can sell my pieces. I would still take part in different markets because I love the interaction not just with customers but with other artists as well. 
I think there are a few messages that people can interpret through the jewelry I create:
First don't be scared to be different, to be outstanding. Be wild, be a rebel against the boring norms of society, be authentic, be you.

Second, I want to stress on how scary it is that we have so much plastic in our lives and the fact that it affects nature so much. Each NYAJ piece  is a small step to saving the planet and helping clean the environment. It's a small step towards a change to a better, cleaner and more beautiful world. Be part of this change! 

Meet Lauren Connelly from JLAerialViews and LCAquaArt... 

The website is www.JLAerialViews.com. We are also on Facebook, with more up to date pictures. Drone pictures are at www.facebook.com/JLAerialViews and watercolor art is at www.facebook.com/LCAquaArt

I just recently moved to Loveland, Oh with my son and husband. We love the proximity to so many parks, river, and town. We are avid bird watchers and we have the most amazingly diverse group in our backyard- from hummingbirds to pileated woodpeckers. My son just started high school- he is still figuring out what he wants to be. Whatever it is, I know it will be great! He and a friend have raised over $5,000 for sea turtle conservation before! In 2020, my husband and I started a business together which has been an amazing ride, we love the flexibility of being our own bosses. As a family, we love to travel and scuba dive- there is a rule in our house, if you are traveling, you cannot go someplace you can go to when you are at home (like a restaurant or store)! I love to explore and try new things, which is why I landed on such a fun, vibrant style for my watercolor paintings. I am fascinated by nature and feel at peace when I am outside and that is what I love about the watercolor medium- you can take it anywhere!

I have been creating and doing art for as long as I can remember. In grade school and high school, art was always my favorite subject! I tried to become a graphic designer in college, but that led to artistic burn out and I wasn't as motivated to create for many years. During the pandemic, I finally opened my "Let's Make Art" Watercolor kits and I was hooked! I ventured out and tried many different classes and styles until I found one that just clicked! While I have been actively painting in different mediums for over 20 years, I started excelling and really finding my style within the past 2 years.

What inspired me to create.. Pets! My favorite thing to do is paint people's pets. One, because I get to hear all about your favorite fur baby and two, because each pet is unique in his or her own way and I enjoy trying to bring out their personalities on the page- the eyes are my favorite part to paint! I also LOVE animal photography and have been doing that for 15 years. I am one of those people you will see at the zoo or a park with a camera bag and all the cameras. When I get a really great photo to reference, I will sketch it out and paint it. One of my favorites is Fiona the Hippo. That painting won "Best In Show" at the Hamilton County Fair in 2022!

The main part of the business is called JL Aerial Views- affordable drone photography and videography. We are a family, woman, and veteran owned company. In 2020, I was a professional diver and my husband was in the military. When the pandemic hit, it gave us time to re-evaluate what we wanted to do with our lives. I bring an artistic eye and safety experience to the business and my husband is the geography, mapping, and customer service end of the business. The drone service provides multiple uses like real estate images, construction progression, roof inspections, home portraits, and my favorite- locating missing dogs! Eventually with the home portraits, my goal is to take the beautiful home portrait and turn it into a one of a kind watercolor home portrait- which is why we merged the drone and watercolors together! It also gives us a chance to display and sell our drone prints. Drone photography really offers an opportunity to experience some place from a whole new view! My favorite images we have taken are of a sea turtle release in North Carolina, the Reds Stadium, and manatees cuddled together in a warm spring in Crystal River, Florida. 

How I discovered my talent.. I bought an online class by Shaunna Russell about how to paint your pet. Christmas was coming up and I wanted to paint my brother's dog, Gary, because my brother is obsessed with Gary! This opened my eyes to learning how to paint with a palette that isn't realistic. This was the first step in developing my style. I am a bit more heavy handed on color and details than Shaunna. I am a big advocate for taking as many different classes with as many different styles as possible because you pick and choose what you like about each and eventually what develops is your own unique style! 
My creative process.. It started with asking people if I could paint their pet or suprise my friends and family with a pet portrait. Now, people are coming to me wanting paintings of their furbabies, which has been an amazing feeling! I use reference photos and from there I make a sketch. I duplicate the sketch, so that I can map out where I want all the colors to go. I figured out early on which bright, fun color I wanted to represent tans, browns, and blacks and for the most part, I stick to that same key of colors. Once I have everything mapped out, I put my outline on watercolor paper and then I am just in the zone- it is a completely meditative experience... there is just something about not having control of the color and watching it move on the page!

Five year goal.. One of my dream goals is to see our drone videography on TV and then on the big screen!!! I am really hoping to connect to the Loveland community and help out with whatever the drone and imaging needs are. I WILL be doing home watercolor portraits within the year. Being able to licence my art is another goal. Honestly, the part that makes my heart the happiest is seeing how their face lights up when I give them a pet portrait and I hope to keep doing that for as long as I can paint! 

Message behind my work.. 
Be bold and explore!
With the watercolors- Try new things and do what makes your heart happy. It may not be "traditional" or "normal", but if it makes you and others happy then you are doing good work! Have an art adventure!
With the drones- Explore new heights, see things from a different perspective!

Meet Valerie Hewitt from VallieGirl Creations...
Hi! My name is Valerie Hewitt, I am a 28 year old wife and SAHM, I married my husband Justin in 2019. I have one daughter and another kiddo on the way, due spring of 2023. In addition to crocheting, I’m writing two books. I’m the oldest of four kids, was homeschooled, and have my degree in Business Management. 
I learned to crochet when I was 7 years old from one of my mom’s friends. I love colors. I love mixing colors. And I love seeing the smiles on kids faces when I give them something I’ve made and they can snuggle/hug/kiss/play with it. 

I learned first how to make scarves and hats on a loom, and I thought it was really fun. Then I discovered amigurumi and just love to make stuffed animals and dolls for kids to play with. 

How I discovered my talent.. Through lots and lots of practice and people asking me to make thing for them that I hadn’t made before. 

My creative process.. It’s a very eclectic process, sometimes I see I certain type of yarn and I just want to make a specific item out of it, sometimes someone asks me to make them something and that sparks one idea that leads to another. 

Five year goal.. I see myself making a website and being able to sell in the entire US, as well as teaching in homeschool co-ops and private clients how to crochet. 

Message behind my work.. I don’t know if there really is a message, I just really love making people smile with what I make, whether that’s because of color choices or the quality of my work or because it brings to life what the customer has been envisioning! 

Meet Melissa Saylor from Bling Princess...
I am a recent amputee and wife. I am a mom and grandmother. I have always loved to do crafts and any chance I got I was doing something creative. I want to make amputees and people with disabilities smile and give them something to make them feel like they are like everyone else. Being disabled has made me realize a lot of things in my life and one of them is do not take life for granted and live your life with a lot of sparkle and BLING!

I have been doing crafts for a long time but these I have been doing for over a year.
I'm inspired by my family, my disability and seeing what I can do.

Also, I LOVE BLING! I seriously think I have an addiction to BLING!

How I discovered my talent.. I have always known I can do things and anything I put my mind to. I create things that I feel people will love and look at and think I need this in my life.
My five year goal.. I want my business to go nationwide and have everyone ordering BLING from me.

Message behind my work.. Even if you are diabled you can do anything you want to.

Meet Kelley King from
I'm a Florida native. Currently an Ohio resident for 3 years. During my professional life,  I am a dance instructor and choreographer.  I have been doing this since I was 16 years old!
This is my 3rd event with Avant-Garde . I'm creative by nature. My inspirations come from life and other's work that sparks me.

How I got into my hobby..  I'm Irish and Cherokee... it's traditional in my family. 

How I discovered my talent.. It was a process... but I liked that it allowed me to be expressive.

My creative process..  An exercise in patience 
Five year goal.. Hopefully even more well known for my work!

Message behind my work..  Life is too short to wear department store jewelry! Have FUN!

2022 Cincinnati Fall Avant-Garde Art & Craft Show
Sunday, November 20, 2022
10:00am-4:00pm
RSVP Event Center
453 Wards Corner Rd.
Loveland, OH
For more information, contact Becki Silverstein, Event Coordinator at Becki@ag-shows.com
Visit us on:
LINKEDIN

No comments:

Post a Comment

See you in the AM Cincinnati!

  Meet Tracy Burns from Chaotic Love Designs ... Hi I'm Tracey, creater of Chaotic Love Designs. I am mom, wife beertender, tour guide, ...